Volunteer applications for the 2023 Festival have now closed.
Volunteering at the Festival
Volunteers are integral to the running of the Festival and in contributing a few hours of your time, you become part of the community that enables this Festival to happen.
The volunteer application process will utilise the web site, requiring volunteers to complete the online application form below indicating which roles and tasks you prefer. The volunteer committee will email information to the volunteers with designated tasks and duties.
The committee is open to enthusiastic individuals wanting to take on a greater role with the Folk Festival, so if you are keen to get more involved, talk to a committee member to see if there is a role that interests you. With committee changes, there is always room for more volunteers on the committee. We are always looking for volunteers for important tasks on the logistics team and decorating the town. Please consider assisting us as without our volunteer committee we do not have a festival. While the time is not huge or cumbersome other than the festival weekend, every little bit helps and these roles are essential if we want to keep the festival going. Please consider your availability for the dates of the folk festival, as it makes it difficult for the organisers if you end up withdrawing.
Volunteers will be wearing stylish vests at the Festival and we will have the pre-Festival get together and briefing on the Wednesday evening before the Festival.
For those who have volunteered before, thanks for signing up again, and for those who are first timers, welcome.
We would be asking volunteers to commit to at least 2 hours as a minimum and if wanting to do more, even better.
The committee have decided to reduce the number of hours to receive the 1/2 price and free ticket.
So Volunteers who complete a minimum 5 hours of volunteer work will receive a ½ price festival ticket. Volunteers who complete a minimum 10 hours of volunteer work will receive a free festival ticket.
Invitation to gathering after festival for volunteers (food and drink provided).
Please indicate the specific job preferences when applying. We will endeavour to meet your preferences for the tasks and available time, but we may have gaps to fill, so may also make requests for certain jobs.
- Coordinate artists, ticket checkers, and other volunteers at venue, and liaise with appropriate committee members as required.
- Problem solve challenges as they arise, with committee members as required.
- This role is usually done in conjunction with at least one other venue manager.
- Ensuring clean and safe environment at venue for artists, audience, and volunteers.
- To introduce artists and make announcements as required.
- Provide information during performer change overs with mention of sponsors, cleaning up rubbish as patrons leave a venue.
- Be at entry points at venues (as per advice from venue manager and volunteer coordinator) to check patrons have Festival wristbands, and advise patrons when venue is full.
- Provide information to patrons and liaise with venue management for any specified tasks
- Based at the Yack Community Centre (YCC) in the main street of Yackandandah opposite the Star Hotel, the site will include the ticketing section, merchandise and sales. Volunteers in the ticket office will have tasks, allocated by the ticket office coordinator, relating to these activities.
- Assist the logistics team in set up of venues, such as marquee, stage, chairs, toilets and rubbish.
- Assist with packing up at end of Festival
- Please be aware many of the tasks associated with logistics are required to be completed during the day on the Friday, and after the last act on the Sunday.
Green Room Attendants
- Assist with set up of food and refreshments for performers at the green room.
- Provide supervision for instruments
- Liaise with YFF committee (e.g. volunteer coordinator) to resolve challenges and questions from artists and other volunteers.
- Maximising reclamation of recyclable material and green waste, reducing overall general waste sent to landfill following the festival.
- Recycling and waste management.
- Assist with directing and managing festival car parking area
- This venue, located in the main street, is designed predominantly for young people. Tasks may include; assist with set up of the stage, decorations, sound technician training and assist, venue management and control, etc.
- Liaising with the Youth Stage coordinator.
- During the Saturday and Sunday of the festival free activities are offered and coordinated by volunteers in conjunction with committee members and the Children’s Activities coordinator.
- The Activities coordinator will design activities and all equipment and products will be provided (activities may be musical, art/craft, games etc)
PLEASE NOTE: all volunteers who would like to assist with children’s activities will need to show evidence of a Victorian Working with Children’s Check.